Weight Loss/Slow Metabolism
Did you know your weight struggle may not be your fault? If you’ve tried every diet, tried cutting calories and exercising, and the weight still isn’t budging, your metabolism could be as low as 35% of optimal (meaning you’re only burning through 1/3 of what a normal person would eat). Why? There are definitely plenty of reasons, and most clients who have a hard time losing weight have MULTIPLE issues preventing weight loss for them.
The top reasons we’ve discovered in our office are:
- Thyroid hormone allergy (especially when over 50 lbs overweight) Yes, untypical as it may sound, I’ve found all of my clients with thyroid problems are allergic to their thyroid hormone—even Synthroid or Levothyroxin if they’re taking it! In other words their immune system is inappropriately targeting it as something to destroy, driving levels down to 35% of optimal performance. Often their doctor will keep increasing the medication and they still feel no difference—continuing to feel tired and struggle with their weight. At Abundant Life the only thing I’ve found corrects that is using our laser technology to easily reset the immune system to no longer target/destroy it. After that, feeding the thyroid with iodine while detoxing any metals on it allows levels to rise to optimal!
- Low B12--often this stems from a genetic mutation which does not allow your body to convert most types of B12 into the kind your body can use. Since I started checking for this, it is turning out to be QUITE common--at least 80% of my clients have this. B12 is CRUCIAL for fueling cellular metabolism and without it you cannot expect to lose weight or have any energy.
- Food allergy—gluten, dairy, or other. Often prevents your body from getting into fat-burning mode.
- Lack of enzymes. Due to eating so much cooked and processed foods which have had the live enzymes destroyed by heat. Enzymes are what break down food into small absorbable particles. Without enough enzymes you can’t break down food to give you energy and feed your metabolism properly! Most clients, unless they’re eating lots of raw foods or are juicing, have levels as low as 20-25% of optimal.
Note: a high level of toxins also depletes these, as enzymes are responsible for breaking apart the bond between the toxin and the cell so the toxin can be eliminated.
- Leaky Gut. I’ve found that our metabolism cannot rise above the level that we are able to absorb nutrients, understandably enough; if gut lining is only 55% of optimal, that person’s metabolism can go no higher than 55%.
- Metal toxins. Often found in greater quantity on the thyroid due to its close proximity to metal fillings, it slows down thyroid function greatly.
- Low Iodine level. Iodine is the preferred mineral to feed thyroid function, and most of us are woefully deficient in it. “But I eat Iodized salt” you might say. Yes, Americans get enough iodine in iodized salt to prevent goiter (enlargement of the thyroid) but NOT nearly enough to allow the thyroid to thrive. Besides that it has an antagonist in the American diet: Bromide, a rather toxic anticaking agent added to nearly all flour in baked goods competes for iodine on the thyroid and displaces it.
- High Cortisol from stress. Wen you are under prolonged stress, your cortisol level rises and your adrenals become fatigued. Cortisol actually breaks down muscle tissue into sugar so you can have energy to "run" from the stress...but the only thing that happens, especially at a sedentary desk job, is that insulin comes out awhile later and stores all that sugar as fat, RIGHT around the middle. What usually happens is these people lose their butt (muscle) and develop what looks like a pregnant belly. Cortisol also blocks any fat-BURNING hormones from coming out. We have a great solution for lowering cortisol without having to quit your job. :)
- Underlying chronic bacterial & viral infections. Remember that when you have a fever/the flu you’re not very hungry and can easily subsist on juice and toast? That’s because during any illness the body turns down the thermostat, i.e. slows the thyroid metabolism, in order to focus on the infection. Sometimes the immune system is never able to completely eliminate that infection but is only able to put a lid on it. Any stress later which suppresses the immune system will cause it to flare up again (Shingles is a good example). If you have symptoms of achiness, hot flashes esp during the night, body odor, chronic fatigue, aching eyes, and a bad taste in your mouth, you can be 99% sure that there’s an underlying virus infection that your body’s never been able to get rid of.
Thank God, using laser therapy plus supplement support to boost the immune system these infections are ALWAYS able to be conquered once and for all.
It’s easy to see why 95% of people who go on a diet gain all the weight back and usually more.
They never fixed the cause of their weight gain: a slow metabolism. Restricting calories also restricts nutrient intake, which means your body starts to “starve” for nutrients, causing hunger that puts on more weight.
What if it wasn’t about the diet?
No diet can completely fix a poor metabolism; in fact many of my clients who can’t lose weight are already on super healthy diet!
So maybe we’ve got it backwards. Shrink your diet to fit your metabolism; or increase your metabolism to fit any healthy diet, by finding and fixing the root causes slowing it down. (personally I know which option I’d choose. :)
As we listed above, there truly are SO many reasons for weight gain. At Abundant Life Nutritional Therapy we have had great success in finding and easily solving all the underlying problems behind a slow metabolism—thereby bringing many clients’ metabolisms up from a dismal 35% to the upper 80-90s of optimal. Using natural methods that work and long-term solutions that will not cause rebound weight gain. Call today for a free 15-min phone consult to see just how we can help you fix the issues that are blocking your efforts!
Wanting to know tips to lose the weight once you fix the metabolism?
Click here to go to the Fitness/Workout page